Thursday, November 10, 2011

Re: Wu Lyf; Are they worth it?

Even though the Prig hates most new music, he goes to a lot of shows. Why? I dunno, self hatred?

Regardless, I saw Wu Lyf on Tuesday at an intimate show in Williamsburg (where else?). Some douche taped it instead of enjoying the show (I'll get to that on my next post). Here was my favorite part:



Should I care about Wu Lyf? Let's suss it out:

They have a pretty solid hipster attitude, which in this case actually works for them (it doesn't work for this broad). They're from Manchester, which the Prig loves, and their name is ridiculous enough to work for me. I can't understand a damn word they say, but at least they aren't these pussies. I got nervous when the keyboard was in the forefront, I must admit, but luckily it was an afterthought as far as the sound went.

The kids have got swag - the drummer drummed savagely, the guitarists actually played their instruments with acumen, the singer got points for stage diving without being weak about it, and they all held the crowd's attention throughout.

The album itself is listenable, more-so after seeing them live. The pronunciation issue will be a limiting factor going forward - they'll never write the perfect pop song - but with a chance to grow I think they could be legit.

Should you care?

Prig says...yes. Go download the album (legally if you'd like), see them live and then maybe buy a t-shirt. When I see it on your Apple branded audio devise, The Prig will approve.

1 comment:

  1. They sound alright, for sure. I take issue with your hating on dudes who film at shows for youtube though. Without them, I would not get to watch those videos. I will reserve judgment for next post though.

    ReplyDelete